Wednesday, July 18, 2012

UK Law Schools - Research Phase

I want to have a good set of posts/records of my whole Cambridge journey in this blog, but I know I won't get it done if I make too many constraints.  So I am just going to write whatever whenever.

I use Evernote (I am telling you it is great for those who's never used it but I don't use it as often as I should) sometimes, and I record some valuable things sometimes.

Here is a quick timeline of my application process.

As I also have been planning to mention, I did not write LSAT (or LNAT, for which I felt penalized - i.e. I did not even get an interview with Oxford) so my timeline is quite compressed. 

Although I have been half jokingly tempering with the idea of pursuing a law degree, I was really hesitant on making a move.  I just didn't know what I should do especially that the project that I have been on has been compensating me quite well.  I have also established my own consulting firm and thought maybe that is the way to go forward.

But D had been talking about going to the UK back to his family and I thought about going to a law school a lot for quite some time. 

Sometime in August of 2011, D told me, who had been complaining nonstop about the work that K, you should just apply to law schools in the UK and see.  If you get in, then you can re-evaluate the situation and decide then.  So I opened a UCAS account on August 23, 2011.  I guess things got a bit better being summer and all so for awhile, I didn't think too much about it then.  But as September came and there were more bad days than good days, I started to look into it more and more and September 14, 2011, I decided to apply.

I did lots of online research and found out the following about the UK law schools.
  • First law degree is an undergrad degree and a graduate is awarded typically LLB or BA in some cases (both Cambridge and Oxford award BA).
  • It is three year degree - as with any other bachelors degrees in the UK.
  • Six of top law schools need LNAT (which is LSAT equivalent) - these schools include Oxford and University College London.
  • Cambridge has its own law test (called "Cambridge Law Test" duh).
  • Some schools allow affiliated students (sometimes interchangeably called, senior status students - students who already have a first degree from a university) let in second year - thus it is possible to finish a law degree in two years.
Anyways, at the time, it made sense for me to apply to the UK schools.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment